Our programs are divided into two areas: education and training and community-based activities. Together these programs are designed to help you live a full and successful life as you adjust to changes in your vision.
July through September 2023
Remote iPhone Instruction is offered in a small group setting in four-week sessions. Students will be scheduled either for Monday and Thursday, Tuesday and Thursday, or Tuesday and Friday lessons. Lesson times, start dates, and end dates will be set directly with the instructor.
iOS VoiceOver Accessible App Workshops
No iPhone experience is necessary, just an interest in using an iPhone with apps that can help you navigate through life.
Please Note: There will be a student app workshop break on August 1, 2 and 3, 2023. These classes will resume the following week. This break is only for the iPhone App workshops; all other VisionLink activities will continue as scheduled.
- Instacart: Tuesdays at 10:00 a.m.
Have groceries from supermarkets, drugstores, and convenience stores in your area delivered right to your front door!
- Participant’s choice! App Q&A: Wednesdays at 10:00 a.m.
- NFB Newsline: Thursdays at 10:00 a.m.
Read magazines and newspapers for free from all over the world
iPhone Application Instruction
Instruction for each application topic will take place on Mondays from 3 – 4:30 p.m. and Fridays from 10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. from April to mid-June. Review the dates and descriptions of the workshops below.
- YouTube – Monday, July 10 and Friday, July 14
Learn how to use all the tools of this video app.
- Venmo – Monday, July 17 and Friday, July 21
This app allows you to send and receive payments quickly.
- Bible – Monday, July 24 and Friday, July 28
Includes 898 versions in 1,884 languages and without ads.
- WhatsApp – Monday, July 31 and Friday, August 4
Allows for free global communication with wi-fi, not utilizing the cellular data plan.
- VIP Code Reader – Monday, August 7 and Friday, August 11
A scanner app, capable of reading QR codes and barcodes.
- Kindle – Monday, August 14 and Friday, August 18
An Amazon app for reading ebooks and PDFs. (Though the app is free, most books from Amazon must be purchased.)
- Amazon Musc – Monday, August 21 and Friday, August 25
An Amazon app for streaming music. Requires a paid membership.
- Messenger – Monday, August 28 and Friday, September 1
A Facebook app for instant messaging and sharing media.
- Voice Dream Reader – Monday, September 4 and Friday, September 8
Using text-to-speech, lets you listen to PDFs, websites, and books.
- GoodReads – Monday, September 11 and Friday, September 15
Track books you have read, discover new ones, and connect with friends through literature.
- Audible – Monday, September 18 and Friday, September 22
An app for purchasing and listening to audiobooks.
- Newsline – Monday, September 25 and Friday, September 29
A free text or audio news service, offering access to more than 500 publications.
Orientation and Mobility
Orientation and Mobility is now providing in-person instruction. Lesson times and dates are set directly with the instructor. Email us to add your name to the waitlist.
Vision Rehabilitation Therapy and Independent Living
Vision Rehabilitation Therapy provides training in the use of compensatory skills and assistive technology through workshops and one on one tutorials.
Computer instruction has been placed on hold. An announcement will be made once the new schedule is set. As a participant you will learn the basic skills for using a computer with JAWS or work to sharpen your advanced skills over a four-week workshop schedule. Participants who have received a call to schedule their sessions, but have not confirmed their availability, don’t hesitate to let us know if you remain interested. To participate, you need to have access to a computer at the time the class begins.
VisionLink participants are welcome to join us in any of the programs listed on this page.
Clients can email Lee Cannady, our Manager, Enrollment and Referral, or call us at (215) 627-0600 to participate in our Educational Programs.
for July through September 2023.
- New Participant Orientation (Meets on August 14 and 21) from 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: The group meets four times over the course of two weeks, with a new group forming every other month.
- Diabetes Information and Support Group (meeting days TBA) from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Led by Thomas Jefferson University staff and pharmacy students, this group will help you learn about ways to manage your diabetes, how this disease affects your body, and how to eat sensibly and still enjoy what you are eating.
- Men’s Peer Support Group (meets weekly from August 30 – October 18) from 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.: Having difficulty talking with friends and family about vision loss? Join this weekly group to share your thoughts and experiences with peers.
- New Participant Orientation (meets on August 16 and 23) from 11:30 – 12:30 p.m.: The group meets four times over the course of two weeks, with a new group forming every other month.
- Gentle Yoga (meets weekly from September 6 – October 25) from 10:45 – 11:45 a.m.: Enjoy the physical and mental health benefits of practicing yoga, with no prior experience required.
- Women’s Peer Support Group (meets weekly from August 31 to October 5) from 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.: Join this group to discuss issues facing women who are blind or experiencing vision loss.
- Intro to Opera (Meets first Thursday of every month) from 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.: Led by Steven Humes (Manager of Audience Development, Opera Philadelphia) and Nicole Sardella (Audio Describer), this monthly group dives into different operas and the details behind the art.
- Resource Sharing Call (Meets first Friday of every month) from 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.: Join VisionLink staff to learn about new programs, resources available and special announcements. Bring any new resources you have learned about to the call as well to share with other participants.
- Speaker Series (Meets fourth Friday of every month) from 10:00 a.m. – noon: VisionLink welcomes professionals from health and other fields to speak to our participants about topics that are important to health and wellness, finance, legal assistance, and more.
“This is such a gift. Without vision, it’s very hard to find opportunities for joining other people in a class.”
Clients can email Lee Cannady, our Manager, Enrollment and Referral, or call us at (215) 627-0600 ext. 824 to participate in our Community Programs.
Ready to begin?
Provide some general information and we will follow up with you.