Good Works Wednesday
A newsletter celebrating ASB progress, programs and people.
ASB’s Program 2021 Schedule: January – March
As we dive into the new year, we are excited kick off our virtual program schedule for the first quarter of 2021! We are looking forward to beginning new programs, as well as bringing back some old favorites. Please read through our program catalog below, and keep in mind what may be of interest to the participants you work with.
Education & Training Programs
iPhone and Computer Instruction
Beginner and Advanced iPhone and Computer Instruction is offered in a small group setting. iPhone instruction will teach the basic skills for using your phone with VoiceOver and gestures. Computer instruction will teach the basic skills for using your computer with JAWS. Or sharpen the skills you already have in the advanced class!
Technology Instruction classes are offered on Mondays & Thursdays, or Tuesdays & Fridays.
iOS VoiceOver Accessible App Workshops
A variety of iPhone App Workshops will be offered throughout the year in a small group setting.
- Seeing AI (Tuesdays from Jan. 5 — March 23): Independently read mail, printed documents, product barcodes, identify money and more.
- Amazon, Instacart & Walmart (Tuesdays or Wednesdays from Jan. 5 — March 24): Shop online and have anything you desire delivered right to your front door.
- BARD & Newsline (Wednesdays or Thursdays from Jan. 6 — March 25): Listen to or read books, magazines and newspapers from all over the world.
- AIRA & Be My Eyes (Thursdays from Jan. 7 — March 25): Sighted assistance anytime, anywhere for any task you can imagine
Orientation without Mobility
This class will enable the participant to learn to mentally map a route to and from any destination within the city using compass directions. While walking or using public transit, this knowledge will enable a person, sighted or not, to maintain their direction and recover any misdirection they make.
Orientation without Mobility classes are offered on Mondays or Thursdays.
Braille lessons offer an opportunity for students to learn the Unified English Braille code and increase their braille fluency. Braille lessons allow students to work on reading and writing, which helps them become more independent and employable.
Braille Instruction classes are offered on Mondays & Thursdays or Tuesdays & Fridays.
Home management workshops are 1-hour group sessions where up to 10 participants will discuss strategies and learn techniques to live more independently. Each workshop will focus on a specific topic area of home management.
The following classes will occur during the weeks of: 1/4/21, 2/1/21, 3/1/21
- Basic Housekeeping Skills (Mondays & Thursdays)
- Banking Services & Using Cash (Mondays & Thursdays)
- Medication Management (Tuesdays & Fridays)
- Labeling (Tuesdays & Fridays)
The following classes occur during the weeks of: 1/11/21, 2/8/21, 3/8/21
- Grocery Shopping (Mondays & Thursdays)
- Time Keeping (Mondays & Thursdays)
- Laundry (Tuesdays & Fridays)
- Color Coordination (Tuesdays & Fridays)
The following classes occur during the weeks of: 1/18/21, 2/15/21, 3/15/21
- Calculators (Mondays & Thursdays)
- Handwriting (Mondays & Thursdays)
- Hand Sewing & Simple Repair (Tuesdays & Fridays)
- Eating Out with Confidence (Tuesdays & Fridays)
Enrichment & Support Programs
60 Minutes to Better Self Care: Want to learn how to improve your health during COVID-19 and beyond? Join this group to learn about different health and wellness topics, including access to helpful resources!
AARP: Want to learn the latest news for the Silver Panthers? Join this group to see how AARP is working for you.
Comedy Club: Like to laugh? Listen to your favorite ASB comedian! Laugh along as group members share jokes, and vote on who should receive encore performances.
Diabetes Information & Support: Learn about ways you can keep your diabetes under control, how this disease affects your body, and how to eat sensibly and still enjoy what you are eating.
Garden Club: Enjoy growing your own herbs or delving into horticulture? Participants in this group will receive a garden kit and work together in the assembly and growing of herbs that can be used in your favorite recipes.
History Club: Have a passion for history? ASB’s history club will delve into United States history, offering the opportunity to discuss various events or learn something new!
Keeping Up with the Times: Feeling isolated? Not aware of what is happening outside? Join this group for lively discussions on COVID-19, social distancing and what is happening in the world around you. This group is in partnership with the Free Library!
Men’s Peer Support Group: Having difficulty talking with friends and family about your loss of vision? Join this group and share thoughts and ideas with peers.
Remember When: Are you over the age of 70? Would you like to share what your life was like growing up and how many changes in technology have you seen throughout your lifetime? Join us and share your stories.
Speaker Series: ASB will welcome professionals from health care and other fields to speak to our participants for an hour about topics that are important to health and welfare, finance, legal assistance and much more!
Story Circle: Listen to an exciting array of current stories and enjoy a lively discussion.
Story Telling: Learn about different types of stories and experiment in writing your own.
Trivia: Test your knowledge and have fun at the same time. This is an exciting way to keep your mind stimulated and learn a variety of tidbits to share with your friends.
Yoga For All: Get your blood flowing with this exciting program! No previous experience required and experienced Yogi’s are welcome.
Women’s Peer Support Group: Join this group to discuss issues facing women who are blind or visually impaired.
- Storytelling (Jan. 4 — March 22)
- Yoga for All (Jan. 11 — March 1)
- Trivia (Ongoing weekly)
- Story Circle (Ongoing weekly)
- History Club (Ongoing weekly)
- Diabetes Info & Support (Feb. 2 — April 22)
- Comedy Club (Ongoing weekly)
- 60 Minutes to Self-Care (Ongoing weekly)
- Garden Club (Feb. 2 — April 22)
- Women’s Peer Support (Jan 7 — March 4)
- Remember When (Ongoing weekly)
- Men’s Peer Support (Jan. 1 — March 4)
- AARP (Ongoing Weekly)
- Speaker Series (Ongoing weekly)
- Keeping up with the Times (Ongoing weekly)